Thursday 26 June 2008

Ringing Ears - Shogun Audio @ The End 20/6/08 review

Having just about got my hearing back, I thought I'd drop down some thoughts about last Friday's night at The End.

'Sick' does not do it justice. It was another classic from Friction and the Shogun boys showing off some real drum and bass. Jules and I got to Tottenham Court Road, via a couple of wrong turnings where my hairy friend was momentarily distracted by recounting some melodrama or other that would if retold in film would have been directed by Henry James, to see the Turks dispatch the Croatians from the Euros. Poor Bilic, he must've felt like a right tit at the end. Modric still looked a class act though.

Into the club with minimum fuss we were greeted by the schweedo sounds of D Bridge, who kept the bassline fat and the beats rollin'. Instra:mental's 'Sakura' and a new dub I've not named yet were the highlights.

Off to the bar for a few Jagerbomb chasers, Jules and I argued over the relative merits of the new Indiana Jones and were momentarily distracted by some PUR being entertained by his 'date' for the evening.

We arrived back at the dancefloor to catch the end of Fabio's set to the monstrous strains of 'True Romance'. Up next was Goldie who surprised me as being a proper showman behind the decks. While he cranked it up to 11, I managed to ask Friction if he was planning to drop 'Spartan', and he tipped me the wink and replied 'obviously mate, obviously'. So I was happy.

Punctuated by a few too many rewinds, Goldie's set was pretty tight. The Age of Empires / Up All Night remix mix being the highest of highlights. Stepping up was the main man and he didn't disappoint. Whiplash, 20:20 remix, Messiah, Cutslo remix, Sonar, The Beginning all dropped properly, it was simply one of the best sets I've heard out. The Time Warp / Tainted Love mix was particularly cheeky. Despite the last 20 minutes descending into a bit of a wobble-fest, from what I can remember, it was an awesome performance. 'Spartan', 'Mirror', 'Be True', this is what DnB is all about.

Jules and I escaped to the dubstep room where the sub nearly took my eardrums clean out and meant we headed back to the main room to catch it going off for Scotty and Bailey. With me and my companion having big day coming up, we decided to make tracks before Break, who by all accounts played the set of the night.

I'll be back for High Contrast in August. No doubt.

No comments: